Porphyry Island Basecamp
Step back in time at Porphyry Island Lighthouse
Meet the charter vessel in Silver Islet on a Thursday late afternoon and get shuttled to Porphyry Island with kayaks, camping gear and experienced guides. Spend the weekend touring the old Porphyry Island Lighthouse and exploring the surrounding islands by sea kayak followed by a hot sauna and a jump into the refreshing waters of Lake Superior. On Sunday, pack up your gear and say farewell to the island before catching the boat back to Silver Islet in the afternoon.
This program allows for paddling opportunities of all levels. We will be offering our Lake Superior Starter Course (Level 1) along with opportunities to complete Paddle Canada Level 2 Sea Kayak Skills certification for those interested. Ofcourse you can join and just relax in the northern island paradise on holidays as well. Full food catering can also be available upon request as well as booking a stay in the lighthouse keepers cabin.
We will spend 3 nights based here and each day makes for a new adventure!
This will be a self catered trip (other than one special dinner) which means. You bring your own food and camping equipment.
Dates: August 3rd-6th 2023
- Qualified and experienced guides
- boat shuttle from Silver Islet return
- Porphyry Island entrance and camping fees
- Historical lighthouse tour from the keepers themselves
- Use of high quality BBQ, stove and fire for cooking
- One home cooked dinner from the lighthouse keepers
- Access to an incredible wood fired lakeside island sauna
- Topographic maps and charts of the local area
- Expedition 1st Aid Kit & Repair Kit
- Emergency Communication (VHF Radio & Inreach)
- Group sanitization, kitchen cleaning kit & toilet kit
- Some extra stuff you might have forgotten
- Price subject to 13% HST
- $700 if you are bringing your own kayak